Off-Campus Access Help
1. My lastname / barcode combination doesn't work when I login.
If you have a barcode, make sure that you are typing it in correctly. You need to use ALL ten digits of the barcode.
- Your last name is not case sensitive.
- Use hyphens if they appear in your registered name at UMass Boston.
- Use your UMS number or UMB email address to recover your barcode number.
If you know that you are typing it correctly and still can't login, check the following:
- Confirm that your barcode has not expired. You can do this by visiting the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the Healey Library, or by calling (617) 287-5900 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be sure Cookies are enabled on your browser.
- If you still can't log on, contact the Library at 617-287-5900.
2. I don't know my UMB Library barcode. How do I find out what this is?
- Your Library barcode is located on the back of your UMB ID or was emailed to you.
- If you forgot your barcode number, you can recover it using your UMS number or UMB email address.
- If you don't have a barcode and have a UMB ID, bring it to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the Healey Library.
- Online students or students taking classes off campus, may call the Circulation Desk at 617.287.5900 to be assigned a barcode over the phone. They may also email email@example.com. Please be sure to include your first and last name, and your UMS number so we can properly identify you in our system. A barcode number will be e-mailed to you. All online and off-campus classes will be verified by the circulation staff.
3. I'm trying to access one of the article subscription databases, but I don't see the login screen. What do I do?
- First try accessing a different licensed database (ex. EBSCOhost, Gale or ProQuest), to be sure it is not a problem specific to one database.
- If you still fail to see the login screen, click on this link to access the login page directly.
- If you cannot successfully login directly from the login page, then your browser might not accept cookies and/or your computer might have a firewall blocking your access.
- If you have tried all of the above without success, then the Library may be experiencing server problems. Wait a few minutes and try again or call 617-287-5900.
- Both EZProxy and certain databases send "cookies" when you connect to them during your session, to show that you are an authorized user.
- Your browser MAY be currently set to disallow cookies.
- In FireFox, check: Tools/ Options/ Privacy/ and make sure cookies are accepted.
- In Google Chrome, check: Settings/ Advanced Settings/ Privacy/Content Settings/ and make sure "Allow local data to be set" is selected to allow both first-party and third-party cookies.
- In Internet Explorer, check: Tools Menu/ Internet Options/ Privacy/ and make sure your security level is medium (or above) or, if you have a custom level, that cookies are not disabled.
- More browser instructions.
- If you need additional assistance, please contact (617) 287-5900.
- EZProxy's method of proxying should minimize Firewall problems for patrons accessing the Library's subscription databases, and provide greater options for correction.
- Most problems using EZProxy an off-campus workplace need to be resolved with that company's IT staff. Many corporations use firewalls and/or proxy servers for network security reasons.
- In addition, some companies have employee's browsers configured to use their own proxy server (or they may disable acceptance of cookies, or have some other security setting) that may interfere with EZProxy's functioning.
- Talk with the IT staff at your workplace, or pursue solutions by calling (617) 287-5900.
1. Why do I need to log into a proxy server?
Online databases and electronic journals subscribed to by the Healey Library are restricted, by the vendors, for use by UMB students, faculty, and staff ONLY. Most online resources control access by your computer's IP address. Anyone coming from a campus IP address gets access, but users are refused access if they are coming from elsewhere.
To provide off-campus access for UMB users an EZProxy server is used. It performs two primary functions:
- Authenticates users as UMB student, staff or faculty by requiring a login, thus ensuring compliance with vendor restrictions.
- Serves as an on-campus intermediary (with a valid IP address) by passing information between off-campus users and restricted online resources.
Off-campus users connect to the proxy server, login to verify they are affiliated with UMB, then the proxy server connects to the resource for them and passes information back and forth. Since the proxy server is coming from on-campus, its IP address is accepted by the online resources.
Proxy Server Address http://ezproxy.lib.umb.edu/login?url=
2. What do I need to do to use EZProxy?
- If you are on-campus, you will bypass EZProxy and be sent directly to the resource.
- If you are off-campus, you will be required to login with your lastname and barcode, then be sent to the resource.
If you have problems, make sure the your browser can accept cookies or that the browser is not currently configured to use another proxy server.
3. I can get in through EZProxy, but the eResource wants me to login as well.
A eResource that asks for a log in may mean that either the resource you are trying to access is not subscribed to by Healey Library, or that there is an EZproxy access error. Please contact the Healey Library at (617) 287-5900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. EZProxy doesn't let me connect from my work computer.
Most problems using EZProxy from work need to be resolved with your company's IT staff. Many corporations use firewalls and/or proxy servers for network security reasons.
Secondly, some companies have employee's browsers configured to use their own proxy server (or not enable acceptance of cookies, or some other security setting) that may interfere with EZProxy's functioning.
5. I get an EZProxy hostname or 404 error, what do I do?
You will get an EZProxy Hostname Error page when you attempt to access content on a computer host that has not yet been set up for use by EZProxy.
Database vendors often change domain names, or pull content from new computer hosts without ever informing libraries. Thus, when a hostname error occurs, EZProxy's configuration must be updated to include the new host for proxying.
To expedite correction of this error, please note:
- the name of the resource you were trying to access
- the computer hostname line listed on the error page
and send an email to email@example.com or call (617) 287-5900.
EZProxy delivers error pages to users for certain common problems. These will usually have the library's header and information relevant to explaining the problem and solution.
There are a variety of common errors that occur during general surfing of the Internet. When they occur, the web server (or web browser) sends an error page for you to view - usually without a lot of explanation. These may or may not be related to EZProxy. Two common Internet errors are:
- 404 Errors (Page not Found)
- "Server not Found or DNS Error"
- An incorrect URL, outdated link, or a missing page
- Some aspect of your network is down or very busy
Whenever you get an error page, especially one that doesn't come from EZProxy, it is important you note what the error page says, the URL you were trying to access (and from where) and other relevant information and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 287-5900.
6. I get EZProxy cookie errors, what should I do?
Both EZProxy and certain databases send "cookies" when you connect to them, to show, during your session, that you are an authorized user. Your browser reported an error receiving a "cookie" and MAY be currently set to disallow cookies.
- In Firefox, check: Tools/Options/Privacy Tab and make sure cookies are not disallowed.
- In Internet Explorer, check: Tools Menu/Internet Options/Security Tab and make sure your security level is medium (or above) or, if you have a custom level, that cookies are not disabled.