Thompson Island is one of 34 islands in Boston Harbor. The island has a long history of education, agriculture, and industry, and has been home to the Boston Asylum for Indigent Boys (1814-1832), the Boston Farm School (1832-1835), the Boston Asylum and Farm School (1835-1907), the Farm and Trades School (1907-1955), and Thompson's Academy (1955-1975). The Joseph P. Healey Library holds the records of these schools in its University Archives and Special Collections department. Please contact email@example.com to schedule a research appointment.
Learn about the differences between primary and secondary sources here.
Search and browse all of our digital collections.
Posey, Trisha. “‘Little Tanned Agriculturalists’: The Boston Asylum and Farm School for Indigent Boys.” Massachusetts Historical Review, vol. 16, 2014, pp. 49–72., www.jstor.org/stable/10.5224/masshistrevi.16.1.0049.
Storch, Susan E. “Diplomatics: Modern Archival Method or Medieval Artifact.” The American Archivist, vol. 61, no. 2, 1998, pp. 365–383., www.jstor.org/stable/40294092.
Search the Healey Library's databases for articles about Thompson Island. Popular databases include Academic Search Complete, JSTOR, and ProQuest Central.
These books include a number of texts on orphanages and poverty in America. While the schools on Thompson Island were not orphanages and students were not necessarily orphaned (nor were they delinquent), these sources provide context for decisions that families had to make to sign away guardianship of their sons in order to gain the benefits of a Thompson Island education. catalogbooks about Thompson Island.